WinMe won't boot into Windows Desktop

Giggle n' Bits 12:52 01 Jan 04

Happy New year to everyone here

powering on my Pc, it goes past the ME splash screen then gets to the boot options and sticks on the Safe mode prompt, which will not boot in to the desktop in either.

I get past the Me spalsh screen logo, then I get message on a blue background with white text saying "Windows protection error. You need to restart your comptuer. System Halted." This is as far as it will go and I have to hit the case reset switch to reboot but its the same every time.

As Getting into windows by using SafeMode is not possible, is there a way to recover and repair the damaged files/registry under windows

In short can anyone tell me how to fix this if its possible. HDD tested ok using the mfr HDD diagnostic tool.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

You will need to boot up with a boot disk.

click here

Rayuk 13:10 01 Jan 04

Had a similar problem on a friends pc and was able to ressurrect with spikeychriss help
click here

Giggle n' Bits 15:54 01 Jan 04

It is windows Millennium, I created a startup disk from my other 98Se machine but it didn't want to except it nor none of the tools.

I have found the directory structure to have many bytes of corrupted/damaged things so I have deleted them.

I am now going to reinstall ME over as what I remember it will leave all the stuff intact as long as I don't format the HDD.

Thanks for your calls, but I dodn't know why a start-up disk wouldn't work. It did say the MS Doss was v8 and not correct or something earlier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…