WinME and IE6 error messages

Timoj 11:29 06 Aug 03

I keep getting two types of error messages (translated from Finnish, so maybe the English version is not exacly the same):

1. "Explorer has caused an error in unknown> and it will be closed" Most often it is Explorer, but every now and then some other programme has caused an error in an unknown place. Sometimes WinME is totally frozen and does not even obey Ctrl-Alt-Del, but the only way to shut down is to switch off power.

2. "IE has detected an error and it will be closed" also asking if I want to send information to Microsoft. This is sometimes very annoying, because it very efficiently prevents any Internet use, when it happens every two or three minutes. Sometimes nothing happens during two hour Internet session.

I have up to date virus protection and have also checked for bugs and spys (Addaware and SpyBot)etc. Chkdsk does not detect any faults either. I've also downloaded all updates for WinME and IE6. I have ADSL connection with ZoneAlarm fire wall activated.

Any idea what I should do? Do you think these two problems are interconnected?

JIM 11:51 06 Aug 03

Could be dificult to fathom a quick fix.

Would suggest disabling your ZoneAlarm fire wall and any other running programs temporarily while on line.then add one program at a time to see what comes up.Any poss.errors.(Ctrl-Alt-Del/end task)

You will obviously have some running programs
that are necessary to run I.E.

wind your way through the following at

click here

It may give you a clue!

Timoj 14:48 06 Aug 03

Thank you Jim. I had a look at the Annoyances. It looks like I wasn't the only person in the world with a similar problem. I think, though, that I have tried all other remedies but reinstallation. And experience from other users seemed to be that reinstall doesn't help! Now I'l just have to look through all proposed measures once more, mabe I've missed something.

Anyway to me it looks really typical Microsoft behaviour, no help from them in problems related to their products!

JoeC 16:01 06 Aug 03

might be of some help.

click here

JoeC 19:22 06 Aug 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now