WinME and Hotmail problem..help please

bof:) 22:38 16 Nov 07

Hi all, my neighbour who's PC uses WinME cannot connect to his Hotmail account today.

When he tries to connect, he gets an Error 404 message saying cannot find server.

I've tried using the click here web address and you can get as far as seeing his email list. When you click on one of these, you get a 'your page has been moved...Click Here to get to it.

When you click on Click Here you can again see the email list which now looks like the latest version of Hotmail, but when you click to open an email nothing happens.

The only thing been done on the PC is that yesterday I swopped AVG antivirus program for the Avast Home free antivirus program.

many thanks,

Mike

Diodorus Siculus 23:45 16 Nov 07

Do other sites work ok? Could be a short term bug with ME hopefully...

bof:) 13:01 17 Nov 07

Hi Diodorus Siculus, rang neighbour this morning and Hotmail was still the same.

I've now uninstalled Avast and replaced it with AVG so PC is now back as it was before Hotmail problem.

Hotmail now works again. The thing I cannot figure out is why Avast should cause a problem with Hotmail, as I believe Avast runs with all types of Windows. This should include WindowsME I would have thought.

Thank you for your help, its very much appreciated,

Mike

Diodorus Siculus 13:07 17 Nov 07

Glad it's sorted - didn't know about Avast being a problem - I've used it for years with most Windows.

bof:) 23:35 18 Nov 07

Hi Diodorus Siculus,

neither did I,I've never had problems with it before.

I checked out on the technical page on filehippo that Avast was suitable for WinMe and it said it was ok. Perhaps it was just a glitch with this neighbours pc?

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…