WINLOGON.EXE - APPLICATION ERROR

twitcher 18:30 27 Feb 07

My neighbour recently had a computer crash and, as the result of a message on the computer, reinstalled windows XP after pressing F10. Unfortunately this installed Windows as it was when the computer was purchased in 2002 with only SP1 installed.

I lent him the free SP2 disc which had come with PC Advisor so that he could install it and catch up with subsequent XP updates from Microsoft.

He ran the disc but when the computer rebooted after installation, he received the following error message:-

"Winlog.exe. Application Error. The instruction at 0x3bf22e52 referenced memeory at 0x0002e445, The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the problem. Click OK to debug.

He tried both but neither worked. The message reappears each time he tries to exit or boot into Windows. He has tried to use System Restore but it doesn't work because "Windows did not close properly". He is also having problems accessing the Internet, so cannot consult Microsoft helpline.

Has anybody any idea what is going wrong?

VoG II 18:36 27 Feb 07
  twitcher 23:29 27 Feb 07

Thanks VoG, I'll try uninstalling SP2 tomorrow. Trouble is that, as I understand it, SP2 is needed before Windows update can be used so his computer will be vulnerable when he goes online.

twitcher 17:17 28 Feb 07

I uninstalled SP2 today but this hasn't stopped the shutdown message and he still can't use the "system Restore" function as it states that Windows didn't shut down properly.

Any ideas?

bretsky 18:07 28 Feb 07

Look at click here
Don't know if this helps.

bretsky ;0)

twitcher 23:43 28 Feb 07

Thanks bretsky, that gives me a few ideas. Won't be seeing him again until next week - I'll report progress when he returns home.

twitcher 20:52 06 Mar 07

Went and had a look at his computer when he returned home. When his computer was restored to its 2002 state he lost all his anti-virus updates. When I ran his anti-virus I found he'd picked up a couple of trojans by going onto the Internet without being fully covered. He's now up to date and with the trojans in the "virus vault" all is well.

Many thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…