Winfixer changed to WinAnti Virus Pro 2006?

micklemouse 11:20 22 May 06

I have a blog on Xanga and every time logged into it recently, I got the dreaded Winfixer window popping up over and over again.

I trie Spy Sweeper, Ewido (free), AdAware and none of them found it, so I installed Spypot and ran a scan. I was so pleased when it came up with "Winfixer" which I fixed straight away. A couple of days passed with no problems on my Xanga blog.

Now when I log in to Xanga I get a different window popup with "Microsoft Internet Explorer" in the top bar. The Popup window says, "There is a security vulnerability from the Baktera virus. We recommend you DOWNLOAD one of the security software programs to prevent malware infections."

I try to delete this popup with the X in the top right corner but then a new webpage appears advertising:

Win AntiVirus Pro 2006
Win AntiSpyware 2006

I have written down the address of this webpage and it is as follows;

click here=

And that's it. What can I do to get rid of it? I have also got Zone Alarm firewall and AntiVir antivirus. I have also got the VundoFix 4.2 which did NOT find Winfixer the first time.

I have run VundoFix as a task again, and searched for files but still no trace.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

skidzy 15:31 22 May 06

Are you just using the Vundo fix....if so,this is not enough to get rid of Winfixer.

This is a nasty piece of Spyware/Malware etc.
Use either of these to rid the pesky thing click here
click here

Hope this helps.

micklemouse 08:56 23 May 06

I told you in my message, I have used Spy Sweeper, Ewido (free version), AdAware, Spybot and Vundofix 4.2 even AOL Spyware although I don't rely on it too much.

Also up-to-date ZoneAlarm and AntiVir.

I will have a look at your links, thanks, and report back later

micklemouse 09:21 23 May 06

ok, I have examined my hijackthis log to see if the O2 and O20 file names (not the paths) match up, and they don't. So according to the Bleeping Computer website I don't have Vundo/Winfixer/WinAntiVirus or whatever name it morphs into, although at the moment it's using the WinAntiVirus Pro 2006 name on my computer.

I now find that having installed the new version of CCleaner I'm stuck with a Yahoo Toolbar which I don't want. I remove the tick in Toolbars and the dam thing comes back again a few minutes later when I change sites! I can't find it in MSconfig Startup either.

micklemouse 09:29 23 May 06

(Just got rid of yahoo toolbar in Add/Remove)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…