Winfix suddenly popped up on mozilla

fox_hound 07:49 24 Mar 06

this nasty peice of software popped up saying my computer may be infected or something, i dont know how it popped up as i was on a forum and mozilla usually bans pop ups but i didn't know it was a sneaky bit of software so i downloaded it and then removed it because it was rubbish and i did a full system scan last night and low and behold it came up and had a TAC rating of 10! so i'm pretty worried now. has this happened to anyone else and if so has adaware completely removed the problem?

VoG II 07:55 24 Mar 06

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

terryf 07:58 24 Mar 06

This site reckons to remove winfix click here but it is not clear whether it is free to fix or free to scan.Have you tried the adaware help either on screen or on their website. I do not use adaware so don't know whether it has fixed it for you

fox_hound 21:55 27 Mar 06

right theres something up the winfix randomly pops up when im on a website and thanks terryf but that has to be registered to complete it

fox_hound 21:57 27 Mar 06

oh yes and it even pops up on mozilla when mozilla isn't open but i'm browsing on IE

VoG II 22:01 27 Mar 06

Run HJT click here and post your log on the Malware Removal forum (NOT HERE) click here

skidzy 22:07 27 Mar 06

I have a friends system that is infected with the winfix malware...Ive been finding it extremely difficult to get rid of it.

Ive also started a thread about this. click here

Ive tried various programs to no avail,so will be watching this very carefully.

Spydoctor picked it up,but will do nothing about it.

Good luck FH

fox_hound 22:20 27 Mar 06

thanks mate hopefully it will be fixed although i really don't feel safe editing what HJT comes up with
:S

fox_hound 22:22 27 Mar 06

also have you tried what the last poster on your thread suggested? let me know if it works!

skidzy 22:30 27 Mar 06

No i havnt tried it yet but all being well,shall try it thursday.If you have no joy,il let you know asap.

fox_hound 22:43 27 Mar 06

right well i'm going to try it and then ill report back and tell ya the trouble is it only pops up randomly so i may not know for days wether the spyware is gone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now