Winfix

Charlie Babbage 19:54 15 Apr 06

As you may realise from previous posts, my friend is having considerable problems with her computer and I'm now considering a clean re-install of the O/S! Thanks to all who have helped on those problems!!

What concerns me is that she keeps getting popups from Winfix which seems to have installed itself. How does Winfix 'know' that she has problems? She has avast anti-virus and Windows ME Firewall. I'll install anti-spyware but is there anything else I can do to stop it coming in again?

VoG II 20:05 15 Apr 06

Run HJT click here and post the log at MWR click here

remind 20:10 15 Apr 06

It's a common ploy to get people to pay for software - the errors are non-existent and it won't fix anything if you choose to download it. Take a look here (click here) for info.

Get spywareblaster (click here), update, apply all protection, download spybot 1.4 (click here) , update, immunize, and run a scan. There are more free tools available if those fail to remove it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…