WindowsXP - Updates.

nutcrusher 08:58 11 Jun 04

After downloading and installing WindowsXP updates where are the Downloads saved on the Hard Drive - that is if they are? At some stage I wish to format the hard drive and re-install WindowsXP and do not wish to spend time on all the various upgrades. I have kept PC Advisor's Jan04 article on re-installing Windows OS.

johnnyrocker 09:04 11 Jun 04

i would expect you will find them in system folders or such, i believe there is a free cd doing the rounds with them all on,

johnny.

iscanut2 09:28 11 Jun 04

Most of the time, they will be saved in your Temporary Internet files. If you want to save the files, don't use the update page to install them, but go into Windows catalog ( On the Windows update page ), select your system and search for the KB or Q update number. Then download and install it at your leisure..I save all mine to CD.

dth 09:48 11 Jun 04

Nuts - Is right about the way to download the updates if you want to save them. But as you
have already downloaded the updates - you can have a look in your temp internet page folder. Click the view option to list in size order, make a suitable folder on your PC (er XPUpdates) and copy the files across to there.

iscanut2 10:01 11 Jun 04

Forget to say that if and when ( !! ) SP2 is released, this will include all fixes to date as SP1 did at the time. We are led to believe that it will be released in a months time or so, but don't hold your breath.

Stuartli 10:27 11 Jun 04

If you create a WindowsUpdate folder on your Desktop, you can name it as the target for the updates as you download them.

I use FreshDownload and have an FD Downloads folder on the Desktop - all downloads, from whatever source, use it as the target.

You can then install the updates as required. I also use the FD Downloads folder as a backup and, in addition, also drag and drop them to a multisession CD-R.

I have XP Pro and, by right-clicking in the FD folder on each update or other download and then selecting Properties, I can then select the Summary tab.

This enables you to type in details of each file, what it's for and the date it was downloaded and installed.

An accurate record of the CD-R's or CD-Rs' contents also needs to be kept with the disk(s).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…