windowsxp loads of problems - are they connected?

boo_hiss_boo 18:46 18 Aug 04

I have a problem with the windows on my pc. It started off with windows media player not loading and telling me it had an'internal error'. Then I tried to bring up explorer by the 'windows+E' keys and this is not happening and just keeps offering the error report to go to microsoft and then I tried to download the lateset windows update and this would not happen. When I tried to use the link to see what had gone wrong, I encountered a page failure. I am really worried.
I am wondering if I could re-load windows from my cd-rom I received with my computer? Can I do this without disturbing all of my other stuff or will I have to start from scratch?
I have no restore points as I had to turn this off today to get rid of the netsky.z virus.

Thanks Boo

VoG II 18:53 18 Aug 04

Start, Run and type

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may be asked for the Windows CD.

If that doesn't fix it, try a repair click here

boo_hiss_boo 19:07 18 Aug 04

Vog

Thanks. I will try both of these. I am away from my pc for a while now, so I will let you know how I get on once I am able to try these properly.

Thanks
Boo

jimv7 19:23 18 Aug 04

There is a worm out called the wallon worm, microsoft has a patch for this, the symptoms are as you describe.

I might be wrong but this but I believe this is the patch OE6.0sp1-KB837009-x86-ENU.

boo_hiss_boo 19:26 18 Aug 04

Vog

I did the scannow and this came up with nothing. I had a quick look before I go out at the link you gave and this tells me how to repair from a windows xp disk. My disks are restore cd's from pre-installed software. Do you know if I run this the same but with cd1 for example?

Thanks
Boo

VoG II 19:33 18 Aug 04

I don't think recovery disks will work.

boo_hiss_boo 09:22 19 Aug 04

Jimv7,

Thanks, I will look ion MS web pages and see if I can download the patch

Vog

if this doesn't work and my recovery disks won't work, what would be my next step?

Thanks
Boo

boo_hiss_boo 09:49 19 Aug 04

HI Vog & Jim

I have looked for the patch but MS webpages are coming back with no search criterea matched. I have read a bit about this worm and it goes back to about may this year, wouldn't my AVG have found one that has been around for so long?

Thanks
Boo

boo_hiss_boo 16:02 19 Aug 04

Well I seem to have had so many problems lately, I have decided I am going to restore my computer from the restore disks that came with it. Thanks to all that tried to help. I am off now for a while to try and copy to disk all that I can before completely whitewashing my pc. I am sure I will be back soon though, probably needin help with set up or similar.

Thanks for all of your help

Boo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…