windowsxp and linux on 1 comp

rainwarrior 19:44 16 Sep 03

hi if i have a prtitioned drive can i run win xp and linux9.1 mandrake, so a different os on each partition as i cant get 2 machines at the mo

powerless 19:47 16 Sep 03

Yes one OS on one partition and the other OS on the other partition.

rainwarrior 20:04 16 Sep 03

so my plan is xp on c: and all drivers, for games and stuff i just want linux for the net how would i work that would i need the modem installin with linux as well as xp or just on linux

powerless 20:13 16 Sep 03

Windows C:

Linux man 9.1 actually has 3 partitons. When you create your partitons. Create one partiton and leave the other part as "Free Space". When you install Linux, linux will create 3 partitons from this free space.

Linux can see a Windows partiton.

But Windows cannot see a the Linux parttions. Although within Windows you can see the three linux partitons. But not what is on them.

Drivers from linux and windows are different.

So install Windows First...Install all your drivers and programs.

Then install linux. When yoiu install Linux be careful as you can wipe the whole drive.

When you install Linux hopefully it will pick all your hardware up.

The modem - What moden do you have?

ams4127 20:13 16 Sep 03

Powerless is right. Linux will pick up your modem (provided it is supported)

ams4127 20:14 16 Sep 03

Sorry Powerless. You type too quick!!

rainwarrior 20:17 16 Sep 03

not a cluejust runnin an internal modem runnin supervoice drivers comes up somethin like hamr500

ams4127 20:31 16 Sep 03

Run a Google search under Linux modems and see what you get.

dth 21:14 16 Sep 03

I suspect that you might have a problem with your modem with Linux. Many modems are designed to work with windows doing most of the work. With Linux you tend to need a hardware (or external) modem.

Give it a go anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…