windowsxp files repaired, missing files

darthballs 22:26 21 Mar 11

been having a lot of problems with my pc, (im on xp home) i used my xp disc and it has seemed to have done an install but only repaired/replaced files, i had to start new accounts, but when i checked the hard drive space, i have roughly the same amount of space as i had before but i can't get to any of anything (ie music etc) that was in my old user account (when i click on my old user folder through documents and settings, it says its not acessible though i can get into other old user accounts easily enough!
is there any way i can get to my stuff in my old user account, also all of my old program folders are still acessible throught the c drive but not through the start menu.
thanks in advance!

mgmcc 07:27 22 Mar 11

Having done a repair installation of Windows, you may be seen as a new User by XP and therefore need to "take ownership" of the files/folders to which you are being denied access. See the Microsoft article at click here

darthballs 10:02 22 Mar 11

thanks mgmcc, i've done that so i/ve got access to everything from my old user account, but i still haven't got any of my old programs listed
in start/all programs. thanks for the help so far, i was just about to reformat, you came in the nick of time!!

mgmcc 11:43 22 Mar 11

If the programs were originally installed for *your* User account, rather than "All Users", you will probably need to create new shortcuts either in *your* new "Start Menu" folder or the All Users "Start Menu" folder. These are located in...

C:\Documents & Settings\Username\Start Menu\Programs\

C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\

darthballs 20:52 23 Mar 11

thanks for the advice, but before i read it, i backed up what i could and did a fresh installation, im happy enough now!

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac