WindowsXP -Duel Boot

denali 00:03 10 May 03

Would someone please be kind enough to tell me how to install XP as a seperate operating system. I am running 98se and would really like to keep it. I would just like to see what XP does.Someone told me to do a duel boot but on asking him how he had no more idea than I have(I am not even sure I know what it means). Many thanks

The Sack 00:36 10 May 03

Partition your hard drive and install XP to the new partition, when its installed it will ask you if you want to boot to W98 or XP

woodchip 00:39 10 May 03

You need Partition Magic to partition your drive XP will load it's own boot loader

powerless 06:14 10 May 03

As above.

At the moment i'm guessing you have Windows 98 on the one big partition. You need two seperate partitons for both operating systems.

Cost free: Delete Windows 98 of your computer, then use a Windows Boot disc to create two partitons. Use FDISK to do this...

C: Windows 98

D: Windows XP

If you have say, a 30GB hard drive give each partiton 15GB each. You can have more partitons if you wish.

Then install 98 first and install it to the first partiton and then install XP to the second partition. XP will make the changes to give you a bootloader, so you can boot into either 98 or XP.

When you install XP make sure you choose FAT32 as the file system. This will allow you to view files in XP from 98. If you choose NTFS you will not be able to view files from Windows 98.

Get the cash out: If you do not want to do the above you can buy Partiton Magic as woodchip says, this will resize the C parttion and create a new one (or two etc). Here you can then Install XP.

Before you do anything make sure you have all your work backed up.

Using FDISK - click here click here

Windows XP Home Install Guide Page 1 - click here

Get Ready to Set Up Windows XP Home Edition - click here

Multibooting with Windows XP - click here

Partition Magic - click here

Bebee 06:29 10 May 03

Does duel boot mean the operating systems fight it out to see which one gets to start? :)

(Sorry - didn't mean to be pedantic. Good luck with the installation)

powerless 06:32 10 May 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…