windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

handful 21:44 05 Aug 03

I thought I'd make the thread a bit clearer by starting again. I have gone through the process of repairing the above problem message and have got to the point where I have been able to boot back into XP but not in my normal user account. The only restore point I have available won't work and I am desperate to avoid having to reformat.
I can see all my usual folders and programmes etc but none of them will run in this user account which presumably is using the registry settings from the 'repair' folder in XP which is where I copied folders from.

Is there any way of getting access to everything normally or will I have to bite the bullet and reformat???

MichelleC 09:23 06 Aug 03

Have a look here which may help: click here

If all else fails reinstall os over itself (I know it's my stock answer but it solves a lot of probs).

Why we can't get into dos with w2k and xp is prohibitive as a lot of fixes can be done there.

Jean-Luc Picard 10:34 06 Aug 03

Just to support MichelleC in her assertertion that reinstalling the o/s over your current configuration may help. I had a problem with corrupted system files that I couldn't solve, I reloaded my o/s( I had to buy a new copy as my rescue disk didn't work ) and my y problems were solved. All my old files were available, I just had to reloas my r/c mouse driver and chance my desktop display settings and it was if I never had a problem.

rawprawn 14:20 06 Aug 03

Did you do a full repair from the XP CD, or did you run sfc/scannow from the CD, which I think might have been worth a try in the first place. You shouldn't have to reformat if do a full repair, I'm sure if you followed the instructions it just brings you back to normal, but you will have to reinstall SP1 if that was loaded before. Was it & did you ?

trying 14:22 06 Aug 03

After adding new software to computer. At least once a week on start up a window appears asking me to insert windows xp cd rom immediately. every thing seems to work OK till the following week?

rawprawn 15:40 06 Aug 03

Is this a new thread ? What software ?

JoeC 15:56 06 Aug 03

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

click here

handful 22:14 06 Aug 03

Apologies for not responding to your answers...I only have limited access to internet at present whilst i sort this problem out.
Michell C and Jean luc...thanks for this suggestion, I may try that next.

Rawprawn, I have tried sfc /scannow prior to and since the problem. I have first of all gone through the instructions kindly linked by Joe C. I have done this procedure before successfully and to a certain extent it was successful again this time. The problem is that the last part of the instruction is to do a system restore and i have only one which xp won't accept for some reason. Hence, I can get into xp ok but none of my programmes are recognised as being registered to me. eg when I run word I get a message that says 'this action is only valid for products that are currently installed' I can see they are all where they were but just won't work. Very frustrating!!! Keep the suggestions coming and thanks again for trying. I will let you know how the reinstall goes but it may be a while before I can check for responses!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…