\windows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing

PCA reader 13:30 27 Sep 07

Hi,
System :XP SP2 on an Evesham AXIS 1900+ with 512mb memory.
Last night I installed an extra 512mb memory sourced from Offtek.
The memory was recognised 'ok' during the reboot but after a minute or so the mouse and keyboard froze. Powered off/on similar occurence. Third time round I go the above error msg and now cannot boot.
Searching the net on the work m/c there is an Msoft article and a number of other articles with varying solutions.
Any recommendations on best way forward from the experts here please....after deinstalling the extra memory of course!
Thanks,
John

rawprawn 13:40 27 Sep 07

click here have a look here.

rawprawn 14:18 27 Sep 07

Or better and earsier last known good config
click here

PCA reader 15:52 27 Sep 07

Thanks guys. I'll try the easy option tonight and post the outcome.

PCA reader 19:26 27 Sep 07

OK, just tried the 'easy' method posted by rawprawn but made no difference.
Looked thru the other approaches but all mention problems if running an OEM version. I assume I have this as XP was preloaded by Evesham. I do have access to an XP retail disk though which I purchased for my daughter's laptop last year.

Can I copy the relevant file from there into the C:\windows\system32\config file whilst in the recovery console? If so where is it please on the CD???
Cheers,

PCA reader 11:52 28 Sep 07

One additional thing I did notice when trying various approaches last night was that the '~' key on my home keyboard does not produce that character. Any ideas on how I can amend this so I can pursue other recovery options such as recovering from the penultimate Restore Point file?
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…