\windows\system32\config\system

jackdouglas7 23:13 18 Dec 08

Just had a new hard drive fitted to my sons laptop and its worked fine for a few weeks. It now says that windows wouldnt start because the following file is mising or corrupt.

Can this be fixed or do I have to wait until the man who fitted the hard drive gets back from holiday in the new year.(my 12 year old son isnt pleased being without his laptop.

He has an acer running XP.
many thanks
John

Sea Urchin 23:20 18 Dec 08
  jackdouglas7 23:33 18 Dec 08

many thanks Sea Urchin.
Ive just read the info but the manual method needs a start up disc which I dont have. I cannot get onto the net using his lap top to use the guided help feature.

Sea Urchin 23:48 18 Dec 08

Having the drive replaced probably means that the Acer eRecovery setup has been lost. Can you successfully tap F8 whilst starting to boot - in which case you could try going to Last Known Good Configuration. Failing that can you get into Safe Mode by the same route, and then try a System Restore.

lotvic 23:57 18 Dec 08

Have you tried Safe Mode or Last know Good?
Press F8 on boot up to get the menu to choose

lotvic 23:58 18 Dec 08

must type faster :)

jackdouglas7 08:48 19 Dec 08

Many thanks for all your help. I will try your advice when I get home from work and let you know.

jackdouglas7 14:15 27 Dec 08

All sorted now. Many thanks.
Any one any good with getting a pc to talk to an xbox 360 ?

Sea Urchin 23:28 27 Dec 08

Glad all is sorted now - with regard to your final question much better to start a new thread with appropriate title

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…