windows\system32\config\system

danpep5552 14:43 07 Oct 05

My pc will not boot up and the above is showing. Am I doomed? I dont want to reload windows, I need my old emails etc.

Grantrh 14:48 07 Oct 05

People aregoing to need a bit more info from you if they are too help. Like what OS are u using - windows XP, when does the above come up exactly.

Can you boot into safe mode by pressing F8 early in the startup sequence?

danpep5552 14:52 07 Oct 05

Of course. Sorry, XP. On starting the computer. I have not tried to load in safe mode. F8 brings all those options which scare me!

ventanas 14:53 07 Oct 05

click here

click here

click here

Not much help to you though. It seems you are going to have to reformat and reinstall. It may be worthwhile installing some imaging software such as Acronis or Ghost in case it happens again.

bremner 15:12 07 Oct 05

Here is the MS fix for your problem

http: // support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

remove the spaces each side of the //

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:48 07 Oct 05

follow these steps:
Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following press ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp

copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Type exit to quit Recovery Console.

Your computer will restart.Note This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder.

danpep5552 15:56 07 Oct 05

Thanks guys - gulp

Grantrh 16:41 07 Oct 05

your welcome!

handful 17:51 07 Oct 05

click here

If you follow these instructions precisely it should work...I had to use it countless times until eventuslly curing the problem accidentally with a bios upgrade. If the worst happens and you end up having to start again, you can recover your data files by reinstalling another copy of windows as they will remain intact if you chose not to reformat but you will eventually need to reformat and install fresh. Long winded but at least you get to save your data. Good luck

danpep5552 21:53 07 Oct 05

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…