Windows/McAfee Security

bluto1 22:52 17 Jan 06

Very recently I had the opportunity of installing McAfee Spam killer only to discover that it includes McAfee Security Centre. What sort of conflict am I loohing at with Windows Security Centre? I`ve no objections to Win SC whatever, but I`d appreciate some input please.

smy13 23:33 17 Jan 06

They will both happily coexsist side by side I've been running McAfee security suite for about 4 years the Mcafee security center provides the same kind of function as the Microsoft one i.e it brings together any McAfee security programs you have together under one interface, so you can check how well they are functioning. You say you've got spam killer it's probably more important that you have a third party firewall fitted and don't rely on the windows one that you can see under the windows security centre
as this only blocks incoming traffic (hope I've got that right!!)

beynac 09:21 18 Jan 06

My understanding is that you can only run one Security Centre on a computer. If you install McAfee it will/should switch off the Windows Security Centre.

smy13 17:40 18 Jan 06

I've got both running, the windows one just tell me that my McAfee firewall is on, Automatic updates is on and McAfee virus scan is up to date. while the windows security centre will give you the status of any security products you have running the McAfee security centre only does this for McAfee products you have running so as far as i know there is no conflict

beynac 17:50 18 Jan 06

I beg your pardon - you're quite right. I thought that there was a conflict, but its only a recommendation to prevent duplicate security warnings.

bluto1 19:17 18 Jan 06

Thanks guys. I`ll install it and see how it goes.

Damn Machine 22:41 18 Jan 06

I could be wrong - but McAfee Security Centre will give the option of 30 day free trials for the other components (Anti-virus, Firewall). You might like to give them a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…