Windows.exe

Cockney Rebel 08:12 18 Mar 07

Hi everyone,
Every time I open M.S.Office2003 it shows up in the alert log of Norton 2007 as unauthorised access and it is stopped.It doesn,t matter if I set Norton to allow or block,the alerts still show.The message I see is as follows:-C:\PROGRAMFILES\MICROSOFTOFFICE\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE.The target is shown as SOFTWARE\SYMANTEC\COMMONCLIENT\CCSERVICE\CHANNELSTARGET\REGISTRY\MACHINE.Norton tech support have been unable to help.I have done several scans with Norton and Trojan hunter but nothing nasty has been found.Can Windows .exe be disabled?Any advice would be much appreciated,Thankyou

MAJ 08:15 18 Mar 07

Where do you see Windows .exe?

MAJ 08:21 18 Mar 07

It sounds like the W32.Feldor.A, but Norton should fix it, try these removal instructions: click here

Cockney Rebel 10:25 18 Mar 07

Hi MAJ,
First of all thanks for your swift reply.The message about windows.exe is in the space below the alert in Norton 2007.If its of any use this alert only showed when I upgraded to Norton 2007 version 2 as suggested by tech support to try and fix a previous problem.

MAJ 10:40 18 Mar 07

If Norton let's you know where the Windows.exe file is located, then navigate to that place, see if it's there. If it is there, and even if it doesn't appear to be, follow the instructions, at the link I posted, to clear the infection.

Cockney Rebel 15:39 18 Mar 07

Have run a scan with Norton with sys restore disabled as per instructions but it never found anything except one tracking cookie.

Cockney Rebel 15:50 18 Mar 07

Have run Norton with sys reatore disabled as suggested in your link but no nasties were found except one tracking cookie.Haven,t yet run Norton in safe mode.Have looked at the registry values,can,t see anything in there.

Cockney Rebel 06:43 19 Mar 07

I,ve run a scan on M.S.Office separetly as well,nothing showing.System comes up clean apart from one or two tracking cookies.Have also unticked "offline content" under help in Office.Any further ideas what it could be please?

skidzy 06:58 19 Mar 07

click here
click here
If you think this is a virus/malware run the scans in safemode,you may have to disable disable restore first.You will lose all restore points.

skidzy 06:59 19 Mar 07

And try online scans click here=

skidzy 06:59 19 Mar 07

You have read,disable system restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant