WINDOWS98SE boot problem

Hoodie 22:19 11 Feb 03

Just got second hand PC. The computer works OK BUT on bootup I first get a DOS Message - CANNOT FIND A DEVICE FILE THAT MAY BE NEEDED TO RUN WINDOWS OR A WINDOWS APPLICATION. THE WINDOWS REGISTRY OR SYSTEM.INI FILE REFERS TO THIS DEVICE FILE, BUT THE DEVICE FILE NO LONGER EXISTS. The files are"vnetsup.vxd, vredir.vxd anddfs.vxd. Windows then starts - I then have a window headed "WINDOWS NETWORKING" with message "unable to load dynamic link library mnsp32.dll "- The system cannot find the file specified. Advice please to get rid of this.
I will use as home PC - no network

BigMoFoT 22:22 11 Feb 03

Use a boot disk to get to a dos prompt;

go to; c:\windows\command and type; scanreg /restore and press return..

If that does not work see if it has any cab files;

go to c:\windows\options\cabs and type setup and press enter.

Make sure you have no peripheral devices attached when doing any of the above.

If neither work I'm afraid it looks like an fdisk and format!

VoG™ 22:26 11 Feb 03

No it is not a Fdisk and Format.

Start, Run and enter MS CONFIG and OK

See what is supposed to be running and please report back here.

BigMoFoT 22:29 11 Feb 03

Listen VOG if you read his post he cannot get into Windows (or thats the impression I get), so how can he run msconfig?

And if you read my post fdisk and format is a last resort? Why don't you comment on the registry restore? Or didn't you know about that?

VoG™ 22:30 11 Feb 03

MSCONFIG should be one word as written.

VoG™ 22:35 11 Feb 03

"Windows then starts" - suggests can get into Windows.

"Or didn't you know about that?" - I know lots. Lets take it one step at a time. I don't think I'm going to share much more of that with you BigMoFoT.

BigMoFoT 22:43 11 Feb 03

OK My mistake! I hold my hands up!

So if you know that much how is using MSCONFIG going to replace missing DLL files?

VoG™ 22:48 11 Feb 03

MSCONFIG will tell him/her what is trying to run at startup. One of those programs is trying to access those non-existent DLLS.

I give up - you apparently know how to fix it, show me how!

BigMoFoT 22:56 11 Feb 03

"THE WINDOWS REGISTRY OR SYSTEM.INI FILE REFERS TO THIS DEVICE FILE"

As it has been on a network the network card may have been removed and the windows components/registry cannot loacte the device, as it is stating, so we "restore" the registry to an earlier date, or we uninstall the networking components or the drivers for the device (i am presuming the device has been physically removed without being uninstalled!)

Check in device manager for installed network components and remove them. By all means use MSCONFIG but if the errors are being reported before Windows loads then the usage of MSCONFIG is irrelevant! It sounds like it is trying to initialise a device that isn't there?

Do you agree VOG (I'm not beeing funny!)

PSF 22:56 11 Feb 03

It looks like a network card has been removed. Have a look in the device manager to see if there is one there or reported as not working, if there is un-install it and then re-boot.

internetevil 23:04 11 Feb 03

i should try the scanreg /restore from the dos prompt (restart in msdos mode)(but as far as i can remember you can only go back 5 days...) it may also be easy to just reinstall win98 over the top of the current location, it will "refresh" the windows files, but not change the registry you should not(!) loose any data in the process....
always back up important data first... you may also consider removing and reinstalling a number of the most likley causes from device manager ie graphics card, usb devices (unplug them all as well) usb ports... modem....
if you need me to explain /clarify any of these points just say!

... but dont flame me if all these are stupid things to do! just politely show me the error of my ways!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…