Windows98 start up poser.

maa970f 13:49 28 Apr 03

If I click on Restart windows does not fully load, I end up with a blank screen but my external devices (San Sisk card Reader, Alcatel USB ADSL modem, Creative webcam) all indicate on.
If I then reboot with the reset button and then when the 'Windows didn't load properly' Menu, I select Bootlog.txt it usually loads correctly. So it is not huge problem but very agravating. I have a couple of Windows help books but they are not sufficiently deep to cover this sort of problem, can any one suggest a book that covers the technical aspects of PC's. Any suggestions with the problem or a source of information would be appreciated. (I have followed the Windows troubleshooting route.)
Alec

spikeychris 13:59 28 Apr 03

Try this, type msconfig into run and click Advanced. Place a check mark in the box next to “Disable fast shutdown.” This slows the shutdown and restart options enough so that the drive can cache correctly.

Quote >> (I have followed the Windows troubleshooting route.) thats a route to stay clear of...its just above being useless..

Chris

maa970f 14:13 28 Apr 03

Thanks for that Chris, but that box is already checked.
Alec

spikeychris 14:21 28 Apr 03

click here and have a jolly good read...

Chris

maa970f 06:53 29 Apr 03

Hello Chris,
Thank you for that link, I'm still working through it, very comprehensive. What I find is that it is not consistant, it usually loads with the bootlog option (or step by step) but not always and I have to do a reboot. From the bootlog I find that a particular dll often fails to load so I have replaced that file from my Win98 disc; haven't shut down since though. I only shut down because I find that my system gets very sluggish when left on for a few days.
Alec

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…