Windows98 replace with Windows98SE

fampatrick 12:54 13 Sep 03

I wish to install Windows98SE on to my PC. I currently have Windows98 installed & running fine. I have an original Windows98SE CD with `for PCs without Windows`printed on. The CD has no keycode. How can I install the SE edition without loosing all of my data, settings, internet accounts etc ?
I have backups etc but due to the size of the backups they are on the hard drive. The HD in partitioned 10MB per partition.

Advise would be much appreciated.

Jester2K II 13:49 13 Sep 03

1) you need a keycode for that disk before you can use it.

2) you need an upgrade disk and not a CD with `for PCs without Windows`printed on to upgrade.

If you "currently have Windows98 installed & running fine." Why upgrade to 98SE??

Smiler 13:54 13 Sep 03

I don't think you will be able to install without the correct cd code. Try contacting Microsoft to see if they can supply a code for you. Phone 0870 60 10 100 weekdays 8am - 6pm

fampatrick 13:57 13 Sep 03

To install some new software I need min. SE. I have already installed Windows98 Upgrade on top of the original 98 but I think this in still 98 & not SE as the new software reports that the version of Windows is not compatable. Is there an UPGRADE which is specifically for 98 to 98SE ?

Jester2K II 14:03 13 Sep 03

Yes its the Windows 98SE Upgrade CD. As i mentioned above

"2) you need an upgrade disk and not a CD with `for PCs without Windows`printed on to upgrade. "

fampatrick 14:12 13 Sep 03

Thanks,
I think this looks like the Info. I needed. I presume I will be able to upgrade to SE on top of 98 ? the Where can I buy one most cheaply ?

Qmar 14:34 13 Sep 03

I think there is a way of reading the key from a Windows installation CD( a CD for doing a fresh install after fdisk ).. i.e. there are programs that can extract it by reading it from a drive.

krypt1c 14:40 13 Sep 03

I seem to recall there may be a file on the cd called cdkey or something similar, directly under the root drive [ie if your cd drive is D it will be under d:\

Jester2K II 14:41 13 Sep 03

The CD Doesn't hold the key. All CDs are the same. You can extract the CD key rom your installation using Keyfinder click here but it'll only get your current CD key.

Jester2K II 14:42 13 Sep 03

That ONLY appears on PIRATE CDs!!!!!!!!! Saves having to keep writing it down!

Certainly isnt one on my Win 95, 98, 98SE, ME or XP CDs...

krypt1c 15:27 13 Sep 03

Jester - Thanks for that info. As I said it was only a recollection so I suspect I've seen it somewhere. Cheers. K ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…