Windows98 (not 2e.) Hardware compatibility issue

timoth 19:59 25 Feb 03

Please can anyone tell me if it is ok to install Windows98, original edition, on new machine say of Athlon AMD 1800 variety with associated modern components. What i am wondering is whether - i think i am asking this properly - does the o.s. support the electronics for the system to run, well, most of the time, if not quite as smoothly as....cheers, tim

Gongoozler 20:21 25 Feb 03

Hi Tim. I think you will find that in MOST cases Windows 98 will work perfectly well. There are so many Windows 98 installations that hardware makers are still providing Windows 98 drivers. However there are probably some (and with Microsoft discontinuing support for Windows 98 there will probably be increasingly more) hardware devices that do not have Windows 98 drivers. I don't think there are any motherboards that don't have Windows 98 drivers, but I could be wrong. If you do find problems, you can always reformat and install a different operating system. If you want to see what Windows 98 can really be made to do, have a look at this current megathread click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…