Windows98 boot-up problems

fampatrick 06:39 12 Sep 03

Following an unsuccessful attempt to uninstall Windows 98 in order to install 98SE, I now have the following problems :

1.During Boot-up the following message appears :
Cannot find the device file to run Windows or Windows application
The Windows reg or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file but the device no longer exists
If deleted on purpose try uninstalling the application using its uninstall or setup program
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file

2.Explorer (not Internet Explorer) will not start & I get the following message :
The program has performed an illegal operation & will be shut down
Explorer executed an invalid instruction module unknown> at 0000:00447DAC

I would be most appreciative of help

Wes Tam ;-) 06:49 12 Sep 03

fampatrick from click here

"These files are components of the McAfee Antivirus or the McAfee Safe and Sound application. It is a known problem that their uninstall program does not remove these files. You'll need to use the registry editor to correct the error messages.

Make sure you properly backup the registry before attempting changes, then:

1. Click Start, Run and type: RegEdit

2. Locate the following key in the registry:

3. In the right pane, click Fbwin95 or Vshinit once to select it, then press the Delete key.

4. Quit Registry Editor, then restart your computer.

Valvegrid 07:07 12 Sep 03

I'm just curious why you didn't re-format the HDD and clean install Windows 98SE?

I expect you had a reason, possibly you didn't mention why.

-pops- 07:13 12 Sep 03

Mmmmmmm, installing on top of an old version (as seems the case here) is seldom satisfactory.

You can't beat a reformat (with fdisk) to get things going properly again.

fampatrick 09:57 12 Sep 03

If I reformat I presume I will loose all of the data (file etc) on the PC ?
I do not know exactly how I should do the formatting

fampatrick 16:42 12 Sep 03

The tip from Wes Tam worked

raakash 16:49 12 Sep 03

store ur data in another partion and format the partion on which your windows exists. that will save your data. Before formating check for the drivers of add on cards and devices pluged on ur pc. formating is very simple just type
C:\format X:/s at dos prompt this will make your partion bootable. if ur hdd has only one partion u have to sacrifice your data or to store it on other media like cd-rom or zip as applicable.

raakash 16:50 12 Sep 03

sorry I was little bit late

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…