Windows7 to XP

Splodge 07:13 01 Nov 10

Good morning all.

My situation is, that I do not like Windows 7!
I have an old Sony Vaio with Xp 32-bit, which has been a good servant despite inflicting lots of abuse on it. But the time comes when I expect it to fail.

In anticipation I have a Dell ZinoHD, which has Windows 7 64-bit!

Using Acronis True Image 10, is it possible to copy the (external) backup of the Sony to the Dell? I did try it but the screen went blank and I had to re-nstall the Windows 7.

Or, can I (temporarily) install a new XP system (different Operating System)and THEN copy the Sony external backup onto the Dell!

Thanks in advance but, please, do not laud the Windows 7, it just does not suit my taste, I have tried!

rawprawn 08:19 01 Nov 10

You could dual boot windows 7 and XP
click here this was for people trying out W7

rawprawn 08:20 01 Nov 10
  bremner 08:25 01 Nov 10

Your image of the Vaio is complete with all the drivers required for the Vaio not the Dell hence why it did not work.

Also the XP that came on the Vaio will have been an OEM and therefore it would be a breach of the MS Eula to transfer it to another machine i.e. you could have problems activating it.

Splodge 08:42 01 Nov 10

Thanks, I have looked at your link rawprawn and noted your comment bremner.

I see that I will have to give a prayer daily, to whoever presides over computer users, to save my Sony. The other options are too appalling to try.

Fortunately, I have grouped everything, except Programs, Windows etc under "My Documents" so I can copy everything across in one huge transfer!

kristain 10:28 01 Nov 10

Better to take all your data in external driver & then proceed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…