//some 3rd party need geo

Windows XP+Microsoft Office 97 Professional

Mags 13:30 09 Sep 03

Since changing my computer from a Windows 98 one to an XP one, whenever I access an existing file in Word or Access the wretched help clip says "a file of this name is already in use by you. You can't have two files open at the same time" When I Cancel it everything is OK. I do not want to disable the pop up altogether but how can I get rid of this stupid inaccurate message?

Djohn 14:02 09 Sep 03

This may be due to a corrupt file in word called "Normal.Dot" go to start/search and search for Normal.Dot [{Allow hidden files to be shown].

When the file is displayed, right click on it and choose delete. On re-opening word the file will be rebuilt for you. This should cure the problem, if not please post back on this thread for further advice. Thanks to VoG and pj123 for this info. Regards. j.

seancblack 16:54 09 Sep 03

I have the same problem, and thought it was something to do with security. file is locked by beast do you want to make a copy (beast is computer name)will try your advice tonight Djohn.

Mags 22:43 09 Sep 03

Thanks DJohn, I have tried deleting Normal.dot and it hasn't worked. In Excel the message is still the same, but in Word it now says "filename is being used by...(me) Do you want to make a copy?

Mags

Mags 22:43 09 Sep 03

Thanks DJohn, I have tried deleting Normal.dot and it hasn't worked. In Excel the message is still the same, but in Word it now says "filename is being used by...(me) Do you want to make a copy?

Mags

VoG II 22:50 09 Sep 03

Make sure that the folder that contains the file is not set at "Read Only".

unfortunately you will find that even Vog's suggestion will not work, I have the same setup and problem and have tried the suggestions I guess its just one more click we have to live with.

Djohn 23:45 09 Sep 03

Sorry to hear your having these problem guys. Have you tried a repair of Office? :o(

Mags 10:27 10 Sep 03

VoG -Tried unchecking the read only box in each folder with no result. Glad to hear someone else is having the same problem horiz5.

seancblack 16:01 06 Oct 03

any further suggestions anyone

denchris 16:51 06 Oct 03

I also have this problem, I`ve tried all ways and no joy. would it possibly be connected to the way files are saved in XP ? ? it does seem that I have duplicate folders throughout ! I am the sole user but winXP seems to allow for many user profiles, just my thoughts...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…