windows xp...internet connection

matthew-293741 15:36 13 Feb 03

we have just set up a new account with ntl, i have looked at the speed of the modem and it is saying that we are only sending 9.6kbps!!!!....i am using xp and am unfamiliar with how to increase my internet speed...please could you tell me the method for uping my speed!! thanks in advance

JoeC 16:10 13 Feb 03

run a "tune up " and please stick to one thread as it gets confusing for others who may want to help. : }

click here

matthew-293741 16:24 13 Feb 03

sorry for the double post...bit thick this end!!!

what i am after is what actions i need to take to check that my modem is running at its optimum speed, i know there are ways to check using windows ME...there must be a way in xp...do i have to go to internet connections etc etc etc?

thanks

JoeC 16:37 13 Feb 03

I don't know if it will help though: -

Go to control panel, double click Network. Choose configuration and highlight Dial-up Adapter. Select properties then bindings. Only TCP/IP should be ticked - untick all others. Select Advance and set Enable Point to Point to no. Click apply and exit control panel.
Right click My Computer and select Properties then Device Manager. Find modem and click on it. Double click your modem, click on Connection, then Port Settings. Slide the two sliders all the way to the right and click OK. Click on Advanced, and click Yes on Hardware Flow Control, Compression and Error Control. Go back to Device Manager, and open up Ports Section. Double click on Communications Port for your Modem and select Port Settings. Change Bits per Second to 11500. Change Flow Control to Hardware. Click Advanced and slide the two sliders to the right. Click Apply on everything and reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…