Windows XP(Home edition SP3)

johnexpgn 10:43 12 Dec 09

I have two Microsoft updates which repeatedly keep coming up for updating.
I install them and after rebooting they are still there waiting to be updated.
The updates are:
1. Security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service pack 2(KB954430)

2.Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service pack 2(KB973688)

Why is this and how do I stop it happening.

howard64 11:15 12 Dec 09

it could be that a corrupted version of these updates is on your pc and stopping the ok one installing. Go to control panel - add remove progs and remove both of these numbers then reboot without downloading/installing them. Then once restarted let them now try to install.

GaT7 16:39 12 Dec 09

As howard64 says, first uninstall them if installed. Then try updating again via Win update click here.

If no joy with the above, instead of doing the normal update, download & install them manually one at a time - here are download links for each click here & click here. G

johnexpgn 16:56 14 Dec 09

Thank you howard64 & Crossbow7!
I did try what you suggested and they still did not install.
So I have now changed from automatic to manual updates (with warning) and will try downloading seperately.
Why can't Microsoft produce stuff that downloads and installs correctly without all this messing about????
If that does't work I will give up on these particular updates.

johnexpgn 17:31 14 Dec 09

Success!!
I downloaded seperately and installed seperately with a reboot in between and that worked!!

Thanks for your help!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…