Windows XP/98 compatability

helcat 16:57 03 Oct 04

Could one of you clever people out there help with this problem? My daughter has just started university and has a LAN connection in her room. The university network is running Windows XP but her laptop is running Windows 98. How does she set up her computer to connect to the network?
I'm sure there must be a simple answer but she hasn't been able to find it.

Valvegrid 17:05 03 Oct 04

I don't think the operating system will make any difference, do you know if its an intranet network, if it is she will need a Network Interface Card (NIC card) and information from the uni IT bods on the IP addresses to use.

Valvegrid 17:09 03 Oct 04

I've just noticed its a laptop using Windows 98, that suggests the computer maybe fairly old, in which case it might not have a network port on it. Do you know the make and model number of the laptop?

helcat 17:14 03 Oct 04

Thank you Valvegrid. I will telephone her to find out but as I am still using steam powered dial up I will have to disconnect for the time being.

helcat 17:45 03 Oct 04

Valvegrid - I am sorry to have taken up your time on this problem. I have spoken to my daughter and find that she has purchased a second hand PC which is what she is trying to connect and not her laptop. Apparently the cable supplied by the university does not fit the telephone socket on the laptop. I will have to mark my query as resolved for the time being until I can get proper details of the computer (the make of which apparently is RM which I have never heard of). Once again thank you for your replies.

Valvegrid 17:49 03 Oct 04

OK, thanks for the feedback, I hope she gets herself sorted out. Good luck with her studies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…