Windows XP - is Word included ?

Tinkey Winkey 19:23 10 Aug 04

Is Word included with XP or is it just Notepad ?

jonnytub 19:24 10 Aug 04

just norepad, you gotta buy word or why not use one of the very good free alternatives

VoG II 19:25 10 Aug 04

Just Notepad and Wordpad.

For Word you need to buy Microsoft Office or Microsoft Works.

THE TERMINATOR 19:32 10 Aug 04

Or you can get Open Office that is compatible with Ms Office and SmartSuiteclick here ....TT

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 10 Aug 04

Free Office suites :-
Openoffice click here
602pro click here

powerless 20:20 10 Aug 04

Cannot you buy Word on it's own? Thought ya' could?

bremner 20:35 10 Aug 04

Yes you can click here

Tinkey Winkey 20:50 10 Aug 04

Many thanks again to all you helpful PCA members !

I will try some of the alternatives before deciding whether to pay out yet again to Microsoft !

I think it's outrageous that such a basic everyday program like this isn't included with XP and yet they include a Video-editor!

Shame on Microsoft.

Simsy 11:32 11 Aug 04

"Word" is much more than a "basic everyday program", it's very powerful Programme. "Wordpad", which is included, is a "basic everyday programme".

The other, free ones suggested are very good for basic use.

Your comparison with the video editor is a very good point that I hadn't heard, or though of, before!

Regards,

Simsy

GRFT 13:08 11 Aug 04

I don't recall Word (or any other Office component) being included in a previous version of Windows - so why should XP be any different?

Stuartli 13:13 11 Aug 04

In fairness, WordPad is somewhat better than most people seem to be giving it credit for in these postings.

Many will find it far easier to use as a basic word processor than Word, with which you often seem to spend half the time reading the Help pages or consult a How to Use Word (for Idiots, Dummies or whatever the case may be) publication.

In fact, I'll lay a bet that 95 per cent of Word users never use more than a fraction of its range of abilities and features.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…