Windows XP won't update to SP3

jonem81 13 Apr 13

Windows XP won't update to SP3. PC details: XP SP2 Home. 2002 SONY PCV-RS404, Pentium 4 CPU 3.00Ghz, 2.99 Ghz 1.GB Ram. I am on Internet Explorer 8. Also, Windows Update doesn't work despite me using the Microsoft Update Downloader. Otherwise the PC is OK. I just want to have the current software updated to enable other downloads to install. Having tried the advice from Microsoft to no avail, perhaps a forum member has an answer?

jonem81

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13 Apr 13

Have you downloaded the SP3 file?

Or will it not dowwnload anything from updates?

Usually the inability to update is a fault of the windows genuine advantage.

woodchip 13 Apr 13

Try running, SFC /RUNNOW from Run

michaelw 14 Apr 13

Also try installing sp3 in safemode with networking.

jonem81 14 Apr 13

"Fruit Bat /\0/\

Posted Yesterday at 10:01PM

Have you downloaded the SP3 file?

Or will it not dowwnload anything from updates?"

No, and yes, it does not download anything!

jonem81

jonem81 14 Apr 13

Jock1e

"Have you tried running the Fix it tool."

Yes, but seem to be running round in circles, ending up with ...cannot install ...etc

jonem81

jonem81 14 Apr 13

woodchip

and

michaelw

Thanks, will have a look at your suggestions.

jonem81

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14 Apr 13

Start - Run type

services.msc

Press enter

scroll down and check Back Ground Intelligent Transfer service is started and set to Automatic.

woodchip 15 Apr 13

Should be SCANNOW not RUNNOW sorry for that

wee eddie 15 Apr 13

As a matter of interest - How full is your hard Drive?

jonem81 23 Apr 13

wee eddie

Sorry I did not reply sooner - I don't always get forum replies in my inbox. Just spotted this when coming back to the forum. My old XP is partitioned into 2 directories. I had a total original space of 160GB, and it is now divided equally - 80/80, programs on C, and data on D. Fairly simple really. I've ended up with about 59 on C, and about the same on D. Because it is my 'old' PC, I am not too worried about SP3, and If I can, I might convert it to Windows 8. Thanks again for your response, I always reply if I receive the emails.

jonem81

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message