Windows XP wont startup

nic118 11:03 18 Apr 10

I'm having a problem with my PC which now wont load.

Basically a few days back the usb mouse stopped working, i managed to get to the device manager and couldn't see anything for a mouse not even a yellow question mark showing it had lost its hardware.

I carried out a system restore which did not solve it. I was thinking it could be a virus so i started up in safe mode but i couldn't navigate to my virus protection programmes for some reason.

I read online that i should power down completly and leave off for a few mins and then restart but then i couldn't get windows to start up at all, not even in safe mode.

If i let windows start normally then it gets passed the windows screen then goes black, if i go through safe mode then i get the writing across the screen but it stays like that and doesnt load.

I downloaded a windows xp pro service pack 3 from here (from my laptop), with the intention of using it as a boot cd.

I went into the bios and put boot from cd, and it shows windows setup and looks like its trying to load but then it says setup is starting windows but the screen stays like that. I left it on all night and it didn't change.

I then rebooted it and tried the option of Automatic system recovery from the windows cd which again doesnt work.

I'm at a loss of what do try next, does anyone hve any ideas?

lister_infiji 11:31 18 Apr 10

If your mouse died first and your PC also freezes up after a short time even when booting from a boot CD (Windows CD) then it sounds like hardware, possibly the motherboard if the USB port the mouse was connected to is located there.

There's a couple of quick things you can try but really no promises here as this could be a host of things.

However, as it could be a power issue, I'd try a static discharge. This means unplugging ALL cables from the PC, and then holding in the power button for about thirty seconds. The PC won't give you any indication that anything has happened, but this will discharge all static from inside the system.

Also there is a (slight) possibility of overheating, in which case you would need to open up the PC and clean out all dust, especially from the heatsink and fan of the CPU, and the cases exhaust fan.

Otherwise it's really trial and error isolating which part of the PC is at fault, but I personally would suspect the motherboard first and then after that possibly the power supply. Your next common suspect for unusual problems is the memory.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:53 18 Apr 10

If i let windows start normally then it gets passed the windows screen then goes black, if i go through safe mode then i get the writing across the screen but it stays like that and doesnt load.

Doesn't sound like hardware as the computer is booting, more like corrupt drivers / windows files.

Borrow a proper XP CD to suit your system i.e. Home or Pro and do a repair install.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

nic118 15:58 18 Apr 10

Thanks for the replies,
I turned power off and tried the static discharge as you said and opened up the pc and cleaned out all of the dust.

I turned pc back on and ran in safe mode and it started up.

I'm going to run some virus programmes in case it was a virus whilst in safe mode, can you reccommend any? I have ad adware and spybot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 18 Apr 10

ad adware and spybot. are antimalware bit dated now

MAlwarebytes free click here is much better

What antivirus do you have?
MSE click here will do all but is better for VISTA and & as windows firewall is no good in XP

Avast click here

nic118 16:27 18 Apr 10

I did have EST but it ran out a few weeks back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…