Windows XP won't start

s99Raj 19:30 18 Jul 05

My XP Home PC wont't start - it gets to the screen with the three little green rectangles sliding across the screen from left to right; and it stays like that. This has happened suddenly with no apparent extra program etc. being put on.

I've tried going into Safe Mode but it hangs after a few lines. I've tried the Repair option but it hangs when I choose the OS from the option.

Does anyone have any ideas what else I could try, please? Cheers.

Graham ® 19:35 18 Jul 05

Any beeps? If not, it's not getting as far as POST.

VoG II 19:35 18 Jul 05

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration from the boot menu?

s99Raj 19:39 18 Jul 05

Yep - the one normal beep is present.

Last Known Good Configuration hangs at the same initial Windows XP message with the green bars going across.

VoG II 19:51 18 Jul 05

There are a couple of things that you haven't tried. click here

s99Raj 19:55 18 Jul 05

Is there a safe proper way of installing Windows on top of the one already there without losing any data and programs already on the hard drive?

VoG II 19:56 18 Jul 05
  s99Raj 19:57 18 Jul 05

Thanks VoG, I'll try those some of those things and post back later.

pk470 19:59 18 Jul 05

You could have a virus the fact that you are showing green dots means you have not upgraded to SP2 then the dots would be blue,your system could be wide open,you might have to reinstall your OS.

s99Raj 20:18 18 Jul 05

The system is well-protected with Norton and I don't like SP2 anyway. It causes me nothing but headaches.

pk470 14:20 19 Jul 05

The reason SP2 came into being was flaws in WXP these included security problems,this has nothing todo with Norton Firewall or Norton antivirus.
You say your computer is well protected i am sorry to say it is know where near protected as you think it is hence the problem you have now.
No Norton product can repair the flawes in WXP
only SP2 can,infact AVG Soho and Zone alarm pro
out shines any Norton firewall or antivirus and it doesn't take over your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…