Windows XP wont shut down !

dje5 15:45 07 Jan 04

Have just purchased a DRW 1004 IM iv DVD +/-RW internal drive and am having some problems when using it with Windows XP Home Edition (SP1 updated). The PC is a Dell Dimension.

What happens is that windows will not shut down it will always automatically re-boot itself when I try to close down. This has only just happened since installing the drive (evrything was ok before).

I have searched the various internet forums for an answer, but these are conflicting! I did follow one suggestion - ie turn of the auto shutdown option as this could give me a clue. Doing this gave the error :

STOP: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005,0x805a29c3,0xf9ce1a54,0x00000000)

Which makes me none the wiser, however, reports on the internet seem to suggest a bad windows driver.

Can anyone shed help or suggest a fix........

David John Every

hugh-265156 15:49 07 Jan 04
  hugh-265156 15:51 07 Jan 04

there is also a link on the above page click here might help.

dje5 11:16 08 Jan 04

Thanks for the links huggyg71, have looked at these and am none the wiser and am reluctant to try any of the suggestions there for worry of screwing the PC up.

I can switch of manually and this has had no adverse effect on the PC, it still starts up Ok and there have been no hassles.

The shutdown problem is just a niggly pain at the moment. I will still keep looking for a fix though.

Cheers

David

plankton 11:37 08 Jan 04

Try going into BIOS and disabling APM, there may be something in the hardware or the driver which assumes that the hardware is a power-on function peripheral. This normally only happens with network type peripherals (firewire/USB2 etc), but it's worth a go...

hugh-265156 18:37 08 Jan 04

im not sure what to suggest you try next if you do not feel confidant with trying the ms troubleshooting advice above.

apart from windows restarting,is the dvd drive recognised by windows in device manager and does it work ok? which ide channel is it connected to and is it master or slave to another device?have you installed any software that came bundled with the drive?

to stop the windows restarts and get a useful troubleshooting error screen instead click:

start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings untick the "automatically restart" box.

next time you shut down,if the error is displayed write it down.

also have a look in start/control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/event viewer click the application and system tabs and click any errors listed here that may help point to the problem.

make sure you are all up to date click here

try removing the dvd drive via start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system/hardware/device manager.right click your dvd drive and uninstall it.restart the computer and windows will find it and install the drivers again.

you could also try clicking start/run and type "sfc /scannow" and click ok.this will find and replace any damaged or missing system files.you may be prompted to insert your windows cdrom if you have one(and you have a cd/dvd drive that works)

my advice above may not help much.i would print out the microsoft help above and get stuck in,looks more complicated than it is.

dje5 12:16 28 Jan 04

After much thinking and being determined to solve the problem Iv'e solved it at last.

With the BTC drive came Nero 5.5, well i installed this as you would!!. What had happened was that some prvious software - Instant Backup, InstantWrite, InstantFormat was conflicting with Neros InCd packet writing software.

Uninstalling the Instant software has resulted in a PC that shuts down (does not re-boot).

Thanks for help and suggestions, hope me posting this helps others.

Cheers

David

jaygice 13:05 28 Jan 04

i had same prob on mine i found out it was my norton anti virus if u have it

dje5 21:15 24 Feb 04

Just to let you all know the problem is solved.

With the BTC drive came a version 5.5 Nero and i installed it like you would!!!!

Well to cut a long story short.... this software was conflicting with a piece of software called Instantbackup,InstantFormat and InstantWrite. Nero install a packet writing software product called InCd, this was conflicting with the Instant software, causing the r-boots.

Uninstalling the Instant software has restored the PC back to normal (no rebooting on shutdown).

Hope this post is useful to anyone else who may have a simular problem.

Cheers

David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…