Windows XP wont boot

5starred 22:25 14 Sep 09

Windows XP won't load on the laptop. Its a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2055.

Any ideas what I can do?

Windows XP (SP2) is refusing to start, so I pressed F5 right after I turned on the laptop. At the resulting menu, I selected Last Known Good Configuration to restore to an earlier date.

This doesn't get it working, so I rebooted and press F5 again, but this time selected Safe Mode.

This doesn't work either.

I have been advised to use the emergency boot disc but guess what they don’t have one and nor do I.

First question can I make a boot disc from my laptop running Windows XP to see if this will work?

Second question any ideas what else I could try?

Thanks for the suggestions…

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:25 14 Sep 09

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

User-312386 23:27 14 Sep 09

Good advice Fruit Bat /\0/\

I think Forum Editor account has been hacked

Forum Editor 00:16 15 Sep 09

but by some fool who thought it funny to steal my forum identity. He's in for a shock, and I apologise for any confusion.

5starred 21:25 16 Sep 09

Thanks for that Fruit Bat /\0/\ having just been furnished with the recover disc I will give this a try. The only thing that is bothering me is that they haven't got copies of some of the photos they have on the laptop even though I asked them time and time again. Is there a risk that I will lose them by doing the repair?

I have had a quick look at the Boot menu and it reads as follows:

2. CD-Rom/DVD-Rom
3. Hard drive

<Enter Setup>

In Bios it reads Boot priority order:

1. USB Floppy Drive
2. CD-Rom/DVD-Rom
3. Hard drive
4. USB Storage
5. Boot from Lan

I am a little confused should this not be the same?

Help!!

No worries Forum Editor thought is was strange advice..

Thanks for the help ppl.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:37 16 Sep 09

Boot menu and boot priority are fine as CD drive is before Hard drive.

You need a Full XP disk to do a repair with out losing any info.

The recovery disk will delete everything and return the machine to factory settings.

What exactly is the error message when it fails to start?

And do you have a USB floppy drive?

5starred 21:46 16 Sep 09

Thanks for that Fruit Bat /\0/\ that's fine then.

Yeah got the full recovery disc - so I will lose the pics then?

There is no error message it just freezes after on the blue screen with a small windows icon??

There is no USB floppy attached so don't know why its on the list.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 16 Sep 09

There are a few things you could do first.

Best is to run a live linux CD and "mount" the hard drive to recover the photos and documents to an external drive /usb pen / or even burn to cd.

You may even beable to use the linux CD to get into windows files to restore the system.

The easiest Live linux I've found to use for this sort of thing is SLAX click here

5starred 22:03 16 Sep 09

So a repair is just like a full restore??

Think I'll try and convince them that the photos arent too important. Used Linux once before and it took me weeks to get all the pics back. I wish ppl would listen a simple request please back up your pics and it would save all the hassle..

Thanks for the help Fruit Bat /\0/\ I will keep you posted.

woodchip 22:22 16 Sep 09

Recovery CD and a Operating System CD are not the same, You need a Full OS CD to do a Repair. A recovery CD will get it working but you will lose all your own Photos and Files and Settings, plus may be Preinstalled Software

5starred 22:37 16 Sep 09

Ah I see I will ask see if they have this!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…