windows xp won't boot

spud10 22:51 11 Dec 06

My friend's computer won't boot and the only screen that I can access gives me the options to boot into safe mode, to boot into safe mode with networking, boot last known config and to boot windows normally.
If I select any of the options the windows splash screen appears and then I am back at the same screen again.
I also states that this problem maybe software or hardware related but no hardware or software has been installed.
Any ideas what can be causing the problem.

skidzy 23:29 11 Dec 06

If your friend has the windows disc he may be lucky with a repair.

You will have to enter the bios and change the boot order to boot from the cd drive.click here

or

click here

woodchip 23:44 11 Dec 06

If you can get into safe mode Why not use System Restore back to when it would boot

skidzy 23:49 11 Dec 06

Hi woodchip
would you agree it sounds like the system is looping.I dont think spud can actually access anything,though i may be misreading something...it is late :-)

woodchip 23:53 11 Dec 06

It just may be. So the only way it as you say to change to CD in BIOS as first boot device

Spark6 09:47 12 Dec 06

I had the same problem yesterday morning. Resolved by booting from CD and then repaired.

spud10 17:42 12 Dec 06

Thanks for the advice but the system was only supplied with a recovery cd and I cannot repair the pc with this cd.
I think skidzy is correct in saying that the system is looping and I cannot enter safe mode or any of the options on the screen as the system starts to load the drivers needed for safe mode and then it tries to reboot.
As soon as the windows splash screen appears the system jumps back to the screen giving me the options to enter safe mode etc.

rawprawn 17:47 12 Dec 06

click here download nd try this way

clock 18:49 12 Dec 06

Well isn't that strange! The same thing happened to me 2 days ago, not knowing any better I just kept turning off and on and trying "safe mode" or "last known good configuration" until a countdown started and it eventually boooted up, - I'm over 60 and I can tell you it really scared me!!

The only software change, or change of any sort I had done was to download and install the new version of Windows Defender. There were a couple of glitches in the install, message sent to Microsoft, O.K. after that, - or so I thought! Could Defender have caused my problem?

Clock

spud10 22:33 12 Dec 06

I will download the windows xp boot cd and let you know how it works out. Windows Defender is not installed on the PC.
Thanks for the information

spud10 18:38 14 Dec 06

The boot disk allowed me to get to the C:/> line from which I could use the check disk command which repaired two bad sectors.
The computer re-booted and started to load windows and then checked the hard drive for errors and finally finished loading windows.
Thanks again for all your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…