Windows XP will not shut down when I log off, why

BlackSapphire 13:57 10 Nov 05

This is an intermittent fault but it is happening more regularly and it drives me nuts. I run a clear browser cache, and delete temp int files, and also run spyware checks and it doesn't help. Any ideas would be most appreciated, thanks.

ACOLYTE 14:01 10 Nov 05

This may help click here

961 14:06 10 Nov 05

Try closing your internet access and virus checker first and see if that helps

BlackSapphire 14:11 10 Nov 05

Perhaps I wasn't clear 961 - I am not trying to shut down the computer when I'm running programmes. I do the checking etc and then try to close down but the machine stays determinedly on!

Acolyte, not sure what this is. I just need an explanation of what is causing the prob.

ACOLYTE 14:14 10 Nov 05

Your profile is not closing,and causing windows to hang at shut down the link i gave unloads your profile and helps windows shut down.

J B 14:34 10 Nov 05

I think that I've got the same problem. When I go to start-log off, I sometimes get a dialog box that comes up saying that if I want to end the program early press cancel or if you want to end program now press end now, if you do you will lose any unsaved data. I think that is the same problem as Black Sapphire is having. I wonder if that download from MS would help in my case as well. J.B.

J B 19:21 10 Nov 05

bump. J.B.

961 09:42 11 Nov 05

By default windows usually waits for 30 seconds while attempting to close down and will then advise as described by JB. The programme mentioned is often IExplore (Explorer)

In actual fact the culprit is often your virus checker which is why I suggest closing your internet connection and then your virus checker manually before attempting the shut down

This often brings the closedown from 40-50 seconds to 15-20 instead and the problem is thus avoided

To examine further look at the error logs and see what is reported. Often you will find old drivers or drivers that have been installed for hardware you do not have (access through admin tools-event viewer)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…