Windows XP will not install

arreff 22:45 13 Feb 03

I have made many attempts to install windows XP. I have tried upgrading from windows ME and I have refomatted the c drive to attempt a clean installation.Each time during loading I get a blue screen with the message- stop: c0000221 unknown hard error \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll When I look into MS knowledge base article 314474 it tells me that the either the dll is corrupted or I am installing a inappropriate driver for my hardware. I have downloaded the latest drivers for my hardware and anyway when I try to install on a newly formatted drive the only drivers installing are ones from the windows xp disc.I am coming to the conclusion that there is some connflict in my hardware. I have tried with a NVIDEA Ge force MX 420 and an ATI RAGE FURY card and both have failed.I have removed the sound card and this has failed. Can anyone please give me a clue as to what else i could try. The motherboard is a MSI ms-6380e which I understand has been passed as OK for XP.

AndySD 22:56 13 Feb 03

Go into the bios and reset it to default then disable the virus checker. Try again.

If its the Rage Fury Max it will not work with XP

Also check on the MSI web site click here to check if there is an updated BIOS that fixes problems with XP.

Sebby 22:59 13 Feb 03

It's not the "corporate" edition by any chance, is it? ;-)

I happen to know how to solve this problem.

After a format, and the first stage of the install (i.e. when you've got to the stage when you are receiving the ntdll.dll error), boot from the CD and choose to enter the recovery console.

Once in the console, type in the command:

copy d:\i386\system32\ntdll.dll c:\windows\system32

Press the enter key and confirm the overwrite.

(The above presumes that D is the letter of your CD drive - change as neccessary).

Now, restart the computer, but don't boot from the CD this. Setup will continue, with no error.

Sebby

Sebby 02:12 15 Feb 03

How did it go?

arreff 11:13 15 Feb 03

No luck Gents I am sorry to say. The install ended with the same message. I am now conviced that the problem lies with a confict in the hardware. I think that I have cleared the hard drive. I understand that there could be faults when you install on a partition greater than 32 Gb so I partitioned my drive into two 30 Gb. I have changed the two 268 Mb memory chips. I have swopped the graphics card. I have taken out the sound card. I moved my hard drive onto a friends computer and windows xp loaded perfectly. I then put the hard drive into my machine and after starting in safe mode a couple of times it discovered all of my different accessories and I was able to do a restore on it. Then when I closed the machine down and then restarted it all went pear shape again. I could not even restore. In the meantime I have put windows Me back on the computer while I try to get more information of how to proceed. Thanks for the hints

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…