Windows xp will not boot

Esso43 11:31 18 Apr 07

I am having a problem with an aparent corrupt windows xp pro installation on a Sony viao laptop the following link gives a good idea of what has been tried to fix.

click here

I appear to be able to start a full windows install but I have not gone down this path as I would expect to lose the content of the C: drive partition including the Outlook file which has not been backed up for about 3 weeks.

Is this the case? or will the data still be there?

If it is, does anybody have any suggestions on how I can access the HDD to get at it or have i just got to live with my indiscipline in backing up?

Any other way of rescuing the windows would be welcome.

BTW I think this was originally caused by switching on the Wireless and closing the lid too soon after, but this may just be coincidence.

rawprawn 11:40 18 Apr 07

From the other thread it seems that you got as far as trying to Repair XP but that you don't know the password. Try hitting Enter when it asks for the password as there isn't one by default.

Esso43 12:16 18 Apr 07

yes tried that no luck. It is frustrating as I do not remember setting one, but the machine is 2.5years old so maybe.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 18 Apr 07

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

1234s282 18:48 18 Apr 07

ALl i can think of is to do a complete reinstallation over your existing one. If you need files that are on your hard disk , try putting the drive into a friends computer as a secondary drive so you can transfer what you need to keep onto a disk.

Esso43 09:15 19 Apr 07

Thanks I will try this tonight.

For some reason I cannot access pcadvisor.co.uk from my home connection?? but here in work I can.

Esso43 09:19 19 Apr 07

The machine is a Laptop so I don't want to open it.

But I have installed a second version of xp on a different partition and I have been able to back up/copy all the files and data from both partitions as a safety back up. Well I left it running this morning! as the usb drivers are 1 rather than 2.

moorie- 09:19 19 Apr 07

the sites been down quite a bit,its not your home pc
at fault

Esso43 09:19 19 Apr 07

I will come back on tomorrow/monday to let you know how it went.

Thanks for the guidence.

Esso43 09:25 19 Apr 07

Ah thanks for that, I have a tendancy to get worried at everything when my main pc is refusing to boot windows it test my patience to the max!

Good job it is a rare occurance.

Esso43 10:07 20 Apr 07

None of these things has worked :(

So tomorrow when I have a full day to go at it I will be attempting to reinstall Windows on the partition with the original install. After pulling off a couple of crucial data files :).

I will post back the outcome.

BTW I have a Sony Viao like a different thread on here I never bothered creating the restore disk they suggest and I didn't get any disks with the original package. So unless you have a retail version of Windows (which I did for a build your own PC) this would have been far more traumatic than it already is!.

Also i will be resetting Administrator password as soon as I am back up and running.

Thanks for everybodies help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…