Windows XP will not boot

Dave10 08:54 23 Jul 05

I have a Tiny laptop running XP Home edition. Upon restart yesterday, the following message appeared: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt; windows\system32\config\system, you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set-up, using the original set-up CD rom, select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
I cannot do this because the original CD is a 'reload to factory settings' and does not go to the windows recovery console.
Can someone please tell me if there is a way to fix this problem or whether I will have to restore everything, which would not best please me! I believe the corrupt/missing file is something to do with the registry? Please help!

Graham ® 09:03 23 Jul 05

Without a set-up CD you may not be able to effect a repair. Can you borrow one? Or contact Tiny for help.

VoG II 09:09 23 Jul 05

Yes you need to borrow a Windows CD click here

Or if it will start in Safe Mode click here try System Restore.

gudgulf 11:11 23 Jul 05

click here

click here;en-us;307545

There are a number of suggestions and fixes in the above links but I think that the full system restore is likely to give the best results.There are a number of links within the first one I have posted that are worth following too.

When this happened to me it turned out to be a memory fault in a RAM module.The fixes sometimes worked but the problem would reoccur on shutdown/restart.Try VoG™'s suggestion of booting to safe mode and running system restore first of all,then a repair if that is not successful.Last of all do a full restore to factory settings.

gudgulf 11:15 23 Jul 05
  Dave10 15:24 29 Jul 05

Thankyou to everyone who responded, had to reload to factory settings in the end, lost a bit of data, but not to bad, a lesson has been learnt!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017