windows xp wil not shut down on its own

matt5705 16:29 11 Mar 03

i hav a 5 year old computer that was 95 then upgrad to 98 the to xp all of the other windows apart from xp that iv had shut down on thier own.
The problem is thats te other windows turn off by them selves why not xp!

its a pentium 2 128 ram xp home edition

Kate B 16:39 11 Mar 03

matt5705, I'm rather surprised that's the only problem you're having with xp on that pc - I imagine a machine of that spec is struggling with the enormousness of xp ... to be honest I suggest going back to 98SE ...

conrail 16:50 11 Mar 03

I have a similar problem in that xp when clicking on turn off computer does not do it first time but will close down at second attempt, looked at beta's suggestions but nothing to help me there

matt5705 19:45 11 Mar 03

it seems to be ok about it this is the only problem i hav

beattyben 17:43 16 Apr 03

I have Windows XP installed on P4 machine. When I try to shut down the system. Message appears that windows is shutting down....then hangs until I hit the on/off or restart buttons. Please has anyone out thee any suggestions!!!

beattyben

Itchy Fingers 10:10 11 May 03

It seems that there is a common issue with XP when it is not installed on a brand new machine. I am one of those guys who is constantly dabbling and upgrading my system and O'boy has it caused me some problems. I have been through all the OS in recent years all (as best as I can remember turn the power off when the M/C evenually shut down. I recently purchased a full version of Win XP Home only to be told that the M/C is safe to turn off, but waits for me to push the power button. My motherboard is a GigaByte G71XE, which I believe is two years old. I have plenty of memory, disc space and every thing else, so a friend suggested I updated my BIOS, but the last updates pre-dates XP. It looks to be that a new motherboard is the next upgarade I will have to consider - I wonder if that would also cure the need to hit the reset button to get my new 64 mb Nvidia video card to kick in on start up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…