Windows XP Warning Messages

dewskit 21:56 03 May 05

I have received a plea for help from our Honorary Secretary, who is running an XP machine (without SP2).
After many weeks of my trying to persuade her to get her Norton Security Suite up to date she eventually got around to running Live Update this aftrnoon.

Whilst all the downloads were coming in (on a 56k dial up modem) she kept getting Messages appearing mostly from 'SYSTEM' to 'USER' with dire threats of WINDOWS ALERT, REGISTRY IS DAMAGED, LOSS OF DATA MAY OCCUR and similar threats, each urging her to download a file from a series of URLs (None of which appeared to be Microsoft's) Unfortunately she did not write them down, but there were at least half a dozen different ones.

I suggested it was safest to ignore them for the moment, otherwise she may well download something nasty.

Has anyone else come across these messages? If so, are they genuine, or a trap leading the unwary into deep murky mire?

Thanks for any help

VoG II 21:59 03 May 05

You did right. They are almost certainly messages containing attached viruses.

dewskit 22:24 03 May 05

VoG

Thanks for supporting my fears!

I will make sure she does not go near any of them in future either, sometimes it pays to hve a nasty suspicious mind!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…