Windows XP VERY ODD SYMPTOMS!

EatSomeCheese 19:07 08 Sep 05

Every so often my windows xp (pro) machine slows right down and has the following strange symptoms:

- Run dialouge box (windows key + R) wont open

- My computer wont show contents, just displays "searching for items"

- Typing characters is very slow (several seconds delay when pressing keys)

- Processes do not disapear from Task Manager when closed.

It has all these symptoms at the same time, and I have a feeling that it might be something to do with the nVidia software. Also let me just say that it is NOT spyware/virus etc before someone says it. Also, RAM has been tested, and its not overheating (42 degrees).

System spec:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 1mb Cache
Gigabyte K8N Ultra SLI
2GB x PC3200 DDR RAM
3 x 250 GB SATA HDD Raid 5
Gigabyte 6600 Turbo 256MB PCIe

Any ideas are VERY welcome! Thanks.

johnnyrocker 19:10 08 Sep 05

what about running system file check to see if any are corrupt?

johnny.

GaT7 19:14 08 Sep 05

How to run/use johnny's System File Checker suggestion click here. G

User-312386 19:24 08 Sep 05

Looks like we are having the same sort of problem with AMD64 processor click here

Woodchip has advised that it just may be the SATA drive

I am going to install my O/S on MY PATA drive and disconnect the SATA and see what happens

Will do it this weekend and come back to you.

P.S. I have an ATI graphics card

Stuartli 20:13 08 Sep 05

Or the very similarly worded but much more comprehensive offering here:

click here

GaT7 20:51 08 Sep 05

Thanks Stuartli. Yes, that's a better guide - I had it bookmarked, alongwith 2 others, but I chose to provide the lesser one! G

Samuelson 22:35 08 Sep 05

Update: I Dont have the problem with opening/closing programs you do with yours, mine seems very specific and does not effect all everything. I notice that if I right-click on the taskbar button for a program there is an nVidia options menu, however when the system is doing the whole slow/crash thing, the nvidia menus have gone, Does anyone know of nvidia software causing problems?

Stuartli 22:37 08 Sep 05

You should find the nVidia nView Desktop Manager from Start>Settings>Control Panel

GaT7 22:50 08 Sep 05

Do you have the latest nVidia drivers installed - click here. G

Samuelson 22:55 08 Sep 05

Yep have the latest driver installed (I have a thing about keeping software updated).

Samuelson 22:59 08 Sep 05

PS. Forgot to add... the CPU reports as running at 100% when the machine does this! Needless to say, this processor should not be running at 100% like that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…