Windows XP Validation Blue Star Icon On Task Bar

redbarron 17:20 12 Dec 06

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the Windows Authentic validation (Blue Star Icon) that sits on the task bar.

I know how and why I got it, and I know how to avoid installing it again. But it would be good to remove it from the task bar.

Any thoughts anyone?

rb

Graham. 17:23 12 Dec 06

Right click the Taskbar, Properties, Customize?

cdb 20:03 12 Dec 06

How did you get it? as it appeared on my pc and then disappeared on the next start up. :S

lotvic 20:30 12 Dec 06

from majorgeeks.com 'removewga' a programme that you can download and remove the blue star that is in your bottom right hand corner.
click here

redbarron 09:52 13 Dec 06

Thanks for that lotvic. It worked a treat.

redbarron 10:04 13 Dec 06

You get it when Microsoft sends you automatic updates. They include a file that checks to see if your copy of WINDOWS is genuine or not. If it is not, then it automatically installs the blue star icon in your task bar and frequently tells you that you are running a COPY of WINDOWS.

To stop this happening again do the following.

1. Download and run the program that lotvic (above) has supplied. (IT WORKS)

2. The next time Microsoft send you updates, click on the 'Custom install'option in the download box. This will show all updates that are about to be installed on your PC. Just look for the Windows Genuine Advantage update. Then, either remove it, or check the box next to it to stop it being installed.

rb

Stuartli 10:43 13 Dec 06

>>The next time Microsoft send you updates, click on the 'Custom install'option in the download box.>>

In order to do this you have to have Automatic Updates configured to "Notify me about updates but do not download or install them" - you can then click on Customise and select only those you require.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…