Windows XP - Users/Programs

Tymmyrddynn 09:10 13 Apr 03

Hello All,

I've been trying to get my head around the problems windows xp gives with allowing other users on my pc to play games I have installed. I've seen a thread below dealing with this problem but I have just one question about it...

It was suggested on a link that programs be installed in a seperate folder to the 'Program Files' folder, to evade xp's built in securities. Is it possible to simply copy each games folder directly into the new folder instead of going through the rigmaroll of re-installing each game?

Hope you can help :)

Falkyrn 09:35 13 Apr 03

No, as each game installs entries to the registry (amongst other areas) telling the machine where the files are. Some games get "confused" by the multi user facilities within XP and require to be installed for each user unless they have admin rights

Tymmyrddynn 09:43 13 Apr 03

As I understand it xp's problem is with the securities applied to the 'Program Files' folder. The idea being put forward is that you installs programs, that you want all user to have easy access to, into a folder other than the 'Program Files' folder.

Are they wrong?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…