Windows XP User Names dissappeared

Rob121 15:34 10 Apr 07

My daughter turned off our desktop using the keyboard. On turning back on, the welcome screen has no user names. I have tried booting in safe mode but get the same screen. If I hit 'ctrl-alt-del' I get a screen asking for user name and password. We do not use passwords to log on. The pc is 4 months old and the suppliers (pc world) helpdesk suggested a clean install(?). Unfortunately, she has very important unsaved data.
Any help would be very appreciated.

Rob

dms05 15:49 10 Apr 07

Have you looked in Control Panel at User Accounts. This allows these accounts to be edited and maybe you can recover from there. After that, how about using Restore Point to return to before the trouble began.

Rob121 16:22 10 Apr 07

Thanks dms05, problem I am having is that I can't log on.

moorie- 16:27 10 Apr 07

after ctl/alt/del have you tried just pressing enter with no user or password details entered

Rob121 17:00 10 Apr 07

Thanks for the suggestion moorie. Just tried it and got the message: "Please type in your correct user name and domain."

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:16 10 Apr 07

Just press and hold "Ctrl" and "Alt" and press "Delete" twice while the Welcome Screen is displayed.

Type in "Administrator" as the username, and leave the password field blank

If you created a password for the built-in administrator account, this wont work!!

Rob121 18:06 10 Apr 07

Thanks Fruit Bat, no joy unfortunately. (like your logo).

dms05 21:00 10 Apr 07

click here

A bit more complicated. You will need to have access to a PC that can download the iso image and burn it to a CD. Then boot the PC from this CD (you may need to change the Boot priority in BIOS to make CD the first boot media). Once into your PC you will see this CD has some Password Recovery tools which may work. Worth a try if your data is very important.

Another method is to burn a Linux LiveCD and boot into Linux then look at the Windows partition and copy the data to a suitable media click here

Both are fairly complicated but may just work.

Rob121 22:00 10 Apr 07

Thanks again dms05. I'm not sure I have the expertise to try your suggestion. I'm a relative novice concerning the inner workings of pc's, but again, greatly appreciate your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009