windows xp user accounts

georgie2 17:33 31 Mar 03

i am reading the latest edition of pc advisor and have come across an article about xp user accounts, it says that if you change your user account password or create one you will lose all encrypted files, personal certificates and stored passwords for websites and network resources related to it, could this be the reason why i cannot sign in to msn explorer

eccomputers 22:21 31 Mar 03

wierd? I never had a password associated with my account but added a new account and set up a password on mine. I have had no problems at all. The password lists are against the user name, not the password so if you keep the same account name there is no problem. The reason is, if you look in documents and settings, the users info is kept in there under different folders. Changing the password for your account doesnt change these folders in any way.

cdb 22:28 31 Mar 03

I've changed and deleted my password quite a few times and had no problems.

Peter E 22:46 31 Mar 03

As I understand it: if you change your own password, there's no problem. But if someone other than you with an administrator account changes your password then all your secondary passwords (for .net passport, shared folders etc) get wiped. It's a security feature to prevent an administrator changing your password therefore gaining access to all your personal passworded stuff.

eccomputers 23:12 31 Mar 03

nope. I have xp pro and recently protected my account with a password and it does none of the above. If you change your account name then of course all the above will happen. Your info is held against your account name, not the password.

eccomputers 23:15 31 Mar 03

ok, I set up a new account and subscribed to some web sites.
Logged into windows under my account and changed the password of the other account.
Logged back in as other user and now it still remembers all passwords.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…