Windows XP User Accounts

I,Me and Myself 10:59 26 Nov 05

The four of us in our family have our own User Account with our own settings, wallpapers, etc. but I have noticed that when I rename an item on my desktop, it renames the same item on the other users' desktops. Anybody know why and how I can stop it from happening?

Eric10 11:58 26 Nov 05

If it's a shortcut icon that appears for all users then it is normally held in the "C:\Documents and Settings, All Users, Desktop" folder and any change made to it will affect all users. This is done so that you only need one icon to serve all users, even users you may create in the future. If you want to change this behaviour you will need to copy the icon into the desktop folder for each individual user that needs it and then delete it from the All Users folder. After doing this any changes made by any user will only affect the icon for that user. It does, however, make for an untidy setup and if you uninstall a program you will need to delete all the shortcut icons for that program manually.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…