windows xp usb driver problem

Tony 18:52 19 Apr 05

Recently my windows xp system will not read any usb 2.0 card readers.

since the usb drivers are on sp1 nad sp2 is there another source to renew the drivers?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Many thanks,

Tony

Technotiger 19:17 19 Apr 05

Hi, I don't think XP needs drivers for card-readers. Try unplugging it and putting it into another usb slot.

Cheers.

Tony 20:27 19 Apr 05

that doesn't help

Totally-braindead 20:34 19 Apr 05

When you say it won't read any card readers does that mean you've tried more than one? Also have you any other USB devices and if so are they working ok?

Tony 20:38 19 Apr 05

thanks for the reply

Two diffent usb 2 readers cannot be reliably detected and cannot transfer data but an old usb 1 cf reader is fine (but slow ofcourse)

Other usb devices such as printer are fine.

alan227 20:43 19 Apr 05

Have you tried plugging the USB reader in before you boot your computer.
When it is plugged in does it show up in my computer as extra drives?.

Totally-braindead 20:45 19 Apr 05

I suppose it is possible for both readers to be faulty but it would be a hell of a coincidence, is there another PC a friends perhaps who also has XP that you can try them on. XP has its own built in drivers it shouldn't need any additional software at all, the readers should appear as a removeable storage device in My Computer. Apart from trying them on a friends PC the only other thing I can think of is disconnect all other USB devices and try it on its own just in case its a power problem.

Tony 21:09 19 Apr 05

but they are installed with the service packs.

What I need is another source of the drivers so I can reinstall the drivers.

The card readers work fine on other xp machines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…