windows xp @ upgrading motherboard

diesel1 12:40 25 May 04

i want to upgrade my motherboard @ harddrive but will i need to buy xp again as it configures your system and sends info to microsoft or is there anyway around this please help!

AndySD 12:45 25 May 04

Do you have the full xp cd also is it a different chipset on the motherboard or make of processor?

diesel1 12:57 25 May 04

no xp came with the pc

Mikè 13:44 25 May 04

More info needed, describe what is written on your xp cd.

ventanas 13:49 25 May 04

If you have an OEM version of XP then changing the motherboard severs the licence, and you should buy another (retail) copy of XP.

diesel1 19:44 25 May 04

if when i get new mother board installed can i use a copy of windows xp to get up and running again?

bremner 19:50 25 May 04

I think you will have to suck it and see.

OEM copies of XP are licensed only for use on the machine they were supplied on and are often actually tied to that machines hard drive - but not always.

XP allows certain upgrades of the machine without seeking a new activation code and even if it does a phone call to MS with an expalnation normally results in them giving you an activation code.

diesel1 22:39 29 May 04

thanks everybody for your input i think i will think again about upgrading motherboard thanks anyhow much appreciated

Rogerfredo 09:28 30 May 04

I recently upgraded from ME to XP Home with an OEM version of the software (£60).
I then decided to do a radical upgrade (new motherboard etc), and the system reported that I must contact Microsoft within 3 days to get a new activation code.
The activation by internet did not work, and I had to phone Microsoft (free phone number) and speak to their rep. He identified my software by the number I had keyed in (even though the automatic system had rejected this), and reconnected me to the auto phone system to key in a new number.(you need the phone at your PC to do this).
Everything works ok and Microsoft were very helpful (this is a common request apparently).
If you don't have a CD or your current code, download "rockxp2" which will give you the info.(this is freeware mentioned elsewhere on this excellent site).PS I would do the motherboard upgrade first, and boot from your existing hard drive).

What amused me once when I had to telephone to get re-activated, at the end of the process the operator thanked me for choosing Microsoft -
as if I had any choice ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now