Windows XP - Upgrade or not?

Ian Clark 18:09 24 Feb 04

Hi.

I have windows ME installed and working. A few 'techy' bods at work have hinted that I would benefit from upgrading to XP (variant?)

Is this true? what are the benefits, is it worth it? and what are the most likely problems that will result?

I mainly do the following:
DVD backup
e-mail/newsgroup
web browsing/searching
music download
access portal to company network (home working)via cable modem

Bit of a wide scope, but you usually give me the right answers!

Thanks

Ian

^wave^ 18:13 24 Feb 04

if it works dont fix it. i too have win me and it works just fine

AubreyS 18:16 24 Feb 04

I had Win ME and had nothing but problems with it so I upgraded and all has been well ever since. But like ^wave^ say's... "If it 'aint broken, don't try and fix it" If it does all you want it to and you're happy with it, don't change.

Diodorus Siculus 18:21 24 Feb 04

It will depend on your hardware: what processor and RAM do you have?

WinME well tweaked is a good OS but drivers can be a touch difficult to source at times.

Indigo 1 18:28 24 Feb 04

I couldn't agree more.

If you are one of the lucky ones who has a system that works with ME and you are happy with it then stick with it.

I once had ME on a machine and it gave nothing but trouble so I had no choice but to get XP. I do prefer the XP interface and find it very user friendly and easy to configure, I personally would never consider using ME again.

You don't need XP for the type of user that you are and it probably wouldn't make your life any easier but if you are curious then try it out on a friends PC or go to the W XP site and check it out click here
there used to be a trial version for you to download or they would send you a disk but I can't see it any more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…